Thursday, September 26, 2013

Throwback Thursday: King Bidgood's in the Bathtub

OH WHO KNOWS WHAT TO DOOOOOOOOO?!

This is a question I've been asking myself a lot lately. An existential quandary usually accompanied by me bursting into the room and flinging myself on the floor or a suitably drape-y bit of furniture. I don't know what is going to happen to me "career"-wise, or what I even should be pursuing at the moment, let alone how to make that gel with the current job market. My book release party for Frank the Gentle Viking is Saturday, I've got three job interviews and a school-book reading lined up and am being pulled in a million directions at once, and somehow the bills still aren't all paid.

Oh who know's what to do, indeed.

This phrase is actually one that springs to mind because it is a repeated chorus in one of my favorite children's books: King Bidgood's in the Bathtub. The story follows a hapless page who cannot manage to pry the King out of his marvelous bath to actually do daily King business. Kingy-things. The whole court joins the effort and somehow everyone ends up in the tub. Written and illustrated by veteran children's book creators Don & Audrey Wood, the text is genius in its repetitive simplicity, while the illustrations are equal parts sumptuous and ridiculous, with the whole court in its Elizabethan frippery.

The more I think of splashing and bubbles, the more I think the idea of not leaving the bathroom to face the day is one I could totally get behind. If you need me, I'll be in the tub. With a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment