Monday, September 23, 2013

Banned Book Week! Dun dun DUHHHHH!

Hey everybody! Don't forget it's BANNED BOOK WEEK! Go read something intellectually scandalous. I can't really explain it, but there's part of me that's geeking out over the fact that a week like this exists. It's like Halloween for librarians. I feel like I should have a party or a parade. Seriously, we should have book parades. And literary cos-play. Where's Levar Burton when you need him?

I'm having trouble finding a comprehensive list for this year, but if I do, I'll post it. This is the list from 2005, which somehow manages to contain both The Little House on the Prairie and Mein Kampf. And virtually every other book that was required reading from when I was in grade school. What do teachers even teach any more? Please post a comment, what are kids allowed to read these days?

Anyway, I think I'll take this week to dust off my personal favorite Huckleberry Finn. Or finally get around to reading The Catcher in the Rye. And Atlas Shrugged. At the same time. And see if my head explodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment